11 Best Survival Water Filters Reviews-Buying Guide (Updated 2022 )
Best Emergency Survival Water Filter Reviews for 2022
If you ask me what is the most important item which you should carry while you are going for any outside expedition like hiking, camping, fishing, then the answer would be lots of water bottles.
The one thing which you always required before anything is drinkable water.
As water borne disease is wide spread in jungles and mountains, you do not want to risk your whole expedition for want to drinkable water.
But can you take 20 to 30 liters of drinking water with you for any outside expedition?
Obvious answer is NO, we cannot carry so much water with us, but we can carry water purifier filter with us which can weight around 0.50 pounds.
Buying Guide for Survival Water Filters
Value of money
Always look for water filter which are value of money but did not compromise for cheap Chinese product, as you are going to use these gears for saving your own life or your family member. Go with those filters which can filter large gallon of water in fewer prices.
Water filter brand
If you are looking for water filter which has save your life at any given time, then always insist on Good brand which are proven in industry and has 100% tract record.
Do not go for cheap Chinese product which will never last one season and have no guarantee.
This is the most critical decision you have to take before considering to buy any water purification filter.
Always insist on those filter which has good filtering capacity and which did not take longer time to filter out pure water.
Always check what type of filtering technology these water purification filter uses. You should also check for extra membrane and any other filter for changing the taste of the water has been used or not. You should always look for filters which follow EPA water Quality standards.
You should pay attention to all those manufactures who claim that their filter removes 99.999% waterborne bacteria, protozoa and other microorganism.
If you want to buy any particular product, the best solution to know about the product is to find what reviews other verified user gave on the product.
Most customer give true reviews as they know this will help other people to get the idea about the product.
Ease of use
You should always choose that product which is very easy to use for you and for your family. It should contain less attachment and filter out drinking water very fast.
Many water purifiers have complicated system and you have to follow exact procedure to get pure drinking water. Always buy those water purifier filters which are easy to handle and give 100% result in no time.
lifestraw go water bottle with filter
Not effective against viruses
BEST OF THE BEST
LifeStraw Personal Water Filter
No shelf life & Not effective against viruses
MSR MiniWorks EX Microfilter Water Filter
Not effective against viruses
Smart thinking, Oh yes!
So here we are with all those water purifier filter review which can be your life saving and best buddies in any expedition.
Apart from reading whole water purifier filter review you are also advice to check our water purifier tablets which you can buy with these filter so that you will get complete protection while you are camping outside.
Top 10 Best Survival Water Filter Reviews
1. Etekcity 1500L Water Personal Filter Survival Gear
If you are using this water purifier as your survival gear then it should be rigorously tested in laboratory, here comes the no#1 best seller water filters which has guaranteed tested in agreement with FDA standards and regulations. This unit has been tested by TuV SuD institute and meets EPA water Quality standards.
Etekcity 1500L Water Personal Filter has 3 stage advance filtration which ensure you get pure and safe drinking water without fail.
These stages include Pre-filter, Carbon filter which is also antibacterial activated and UF membrane inline filter which can removes 99.99999% of water borne bacteria such as salmonella, cholera and E.coli with all type of protozoa.
Etekcity 1500L Water Personal Filter come with useful accessories such as foldable water pouch for collecting water, a longer straw to attach to the filter, and a syringe for cleaning.
Etekcity 1500L Water Personal Filter has long life water filter which can filter up to 1500 liters of safe drinking water from any sources.
You don’t have to need water purification tablets if you are using Etekcity 1500L Water Personal Filter.
- Strictly follow the FDA standards and meet EPA water quality standards
- Value for money pack
- Come with 3 Stage Advance Filtration which gives you pure drinking water
- It uses UF membrane filter which is the best technology to get pure drinking water
- It is little slower water purification filter.
If you are looking for small, lightweight and effective water purifying filters for you camping, hiking, scouting then you can definitely get Etekcity 1500L Water Personal Filter.
This unit has 3 level of filtration which can clean any type of water. It uses UF membrane filter which are industry standard when it comes to filtering.
2. Survivor Filter Pro Nano-Filtration Water Purifier
This is the best quality product out there in market; in our reviews we found that this water purification filter by survivor filter is best in every aspect.
It has triple filtration which filters out harmful bacteria and protozoa at different levels.
This product has been tested by independent labs known as INTERTEK LABS in Ohio, USA.
The test result shows that this product remove 99.9% Virus, Staph and bacteria and reduce heavy metals such as mercury and lead.
Survivor Filter Pro Nano-Filtration Water Purifier can filter 500 ml per minute which is quite high for other survivor filter to match.
It has triple filtration which can filter up to 100,000 liters without replacement. It has carbon filter which can last up to 2,000 liters.
This product can eliminate 99.99 % of virus, protozoa and bacteria which are present in dirty water. It also removes hard metals such as mercury and lead and makes water pure to drink.
It also improves the taste of the water so that it did not contain medicine like take which your drink.
- It has triple filtration which provide pure drinking water
- Eliminates hard metals such as mercury and lead
- Super-fast filtration- filter 17 ounces per min
- Made up with Military Grade BPA free ABS Material
- Survivor filter pro which has two cleanable Membrane
- It seems to clogged when you use repeatedly
- Higher in price
If you are looking for rugged outdoor water purifying filter which weight less and can filter any type of water than you should consider using Survivor Filter Pro Nano-Filtration Water Purifier.
This tough water filter can remove 99.9% virus, staph and bacteria and it also remove heavy metals 99.5% of mercury and 93% lead which surpassing all EPA standards for water filters.
3. LifeStraw Personal Water Filter
This is the best survival water filter which has been used by millions around the world.
As this brand was endorsed by United Nations, this product has been used by many countries.
It weight around 54g which is perfect for any hiking or campaign expedition.
As this one is very light in weight, it is being used in natural disasters where water borne disease become epidemic if not control properly.
It can filter up to 1000 filter and remove iodine, chlorine and other chemical with all type of water borne disease causing bacteria.
It removes 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria with 99.9% waterborne protozoan parasites and filters to any amazing 0.2 microns.
- You can use this product for filtering any kind of water
- It is the fastest filter which can convert dirty water into pure one
- Best for travelling and camping as it is lightweight
- Filters up to 1000 liters of contaminated water without iodine, chlorine and other chemical
- Removes 99.9% of waterborne harmful bacteria, protozoa parasites
- You have to suck water to get it through the water filter
If you want a product used by millions and have good filtration you can consider using this product.
This is best value for money, you can get good filter which is compact and lighter in weight.
4. LifeStraw Go Water Bottle Filter
Traveling, hiking and backpacking can be fun and exciting, but only until you run out of clean drinking water.
To avoid the risk of drinking contaminated water or the inconvenience of having to buy bottled water, you just need to grab the LifeStraw Go Water Filter Bottle.
This portable filter bottle can purify water from any source, including lakes and streams.
It is capable of removing up to 99.99% contaminants, including waterborne bacteria, protozoan parasites, heavy metals, arsenic chemicals, iodine and pesticides.
Moreover, you can use this unit to purify up to 100 liters of water before replacing the filter.
The water bottle is reusable, and it comes with a straw that contains a fiber microfiltration membrane responsible for filtering out impurities.
Its 2-stage carbon filter enhances the taste of your drinking water by reducing excess chlorine and getting rid of odors.
But that’s not all….
The bottle is leak-proof and the construction is BPA-free. Furthermore, it can handle up to 23 ounces of water at a time, making it a must-have accessory for all your outdoor escapades.
- It is multipurpose water filter and can be used for any outdoor expedition
- This filter removes up to 99.9% of waterborne bacteria
- BPA Free which have no contamination
- Zero aftertaste, no chemicals or iodine after filtration.
- Do not include carbon filter with these unit
- It has bad taste after filtering the water
Take this survival gear with you for all your camping, hiking, fishing expedition.
5. Katadyn Pocket Water Filter
If you are looking for quality product which has been used by soldier over many operations you can definitely look for Katadyn Pocket water filter.
This has been built for all military operation and all who want to undertake any hiking or camping.
This can filter up to 300 gallons of clean drinking water after that you have to change the inside filter.
You can use this for cleaning any type of water as it can purify 99.99% bacteria, protozoa and can filters all other microorganisms larger than 0.2 microns.
You can always rely on this filter if you are going for outside trip.
Features of the Katadyn Pocket Hiking Water Filter`
One great feature of the Katadyn Pocket Hiking Water Filter is that it has a silver-impregnated ceramic filter, which doesn’t get infected if you leave it wet for too long.
The ceramic filter is field maintainable and quite simple to backwash, and it works on the muddiest possible water you can find.
Also, you can get an extra carbon filter for the Katadyn Pocket, which keeps bad tastes and smells out of the water, as well.
- Silver-impregnated filter fights bacterial growth inside the filter
- Field maintainable and easy to backwash
- Carbon filter to get out smells and tastes is available
- This has dual filter which eliminate all contamination
- It is portable in size
- It can filter lots of water about 300 gallons
- Used by USA military
- You need proper maintenance to carried out required pure water
- Product price is too high
Is the Katadyn Pocket Filter for You?
If you’re looking for the lightest weight personal pump filter on the market, the Katadyn Pocket isn’t what you want. The Katadyn Hiker, for instance, is much lighter weight.
It is also one of the more expensive filters out there.
However, if you don’t mind extra weight for guaranteed durability, and if you want to invest in a filter that will last for decades, the Katadyn Pocket is the option for you.
If you want a quality product which is used by USA military you can always buy Katadyn Pocket Water Filter.
6. MSR MiniWorks EX Hiking Water Filter
The MSR MiniWorks EX Hiking Water Filter comes from one of the premier water filter companies and has been well received among campers and hikers.
It’s easy to maintain in the field since you don’t need any tools to clean it, and it includes a carbon core that removes bad tastes and smells, which is great for most hikers.
Plus, it comes with a lifetime warranty, so you can know that MSR stands behind the quality of this top-notch product.
Features of the MSR MiniWorks EX Hiking Water Filter
The MSR MiniWorks EX features a high flow rate of up to a liter per minute. It’s not meant for getting clean water for several people, but it’s perfect for one or two to filter water quickly.
It also has a durable filter, which is easy to clean in the field.
Its filter will last quite a while, which means you don’t have to worry about carrying extras with you in the field.
- Flow rate up to a liter per minute
- Perfect for one or two people
- Durable filter that is field maintainable
- Long-lasting filter
- Easy to use and put together in the field
- Backflush within five minutes
- Lightweight but sturdy
- Fits with most hiking water bottles for extra convenience
- Unlike some pump filters, this one isn’t rated to remove viruses. This isn’t normally a worry in backwoods areas, but maybe one in foreign countries. Do some research about the type of filtration you’ll need where you’re going before you decide to rely solely on the MSR MiniWorks EX Hiking Water Filter.
Is the MSR MiniWorks the Filter for You?
If you’re looking to pump water quickly for a few people and to have a filter that works on both bacteria and bad smells or tastes, the MSR MiniWorks EX is one of the best options on the market.
It’s fairly lightweight, although if you’re looking to cut as much weight as possible, you might go with another option that would be more expensive.
The MiniWorks also offers great value for your money but will usually last a long time.
Best Price and Availability
You might be able to find this portable water filter at a local specialty store, but you’ll find much easier availability online, and you’ll get a better price too.
Check out this link to get today’s best price on the MSR MiniWorks EX Hiking Water Filter.
7. Katadyn Hiker Pro Hiking Water Filter
The Katadyn Hiker Pro Hiking Water Filter is a great portable water filter for one person or a pair of hikers on the trail.
It’s lightweight and effective at removing all sorts of contaminants from water, including sediment, chemicals, and bacteria and viruses that can cause illness.
This pump water filter is set up to be simple to use and simple to service, even in the field.
It can easily connect to your hydration pack or fill up a water bottle in just a few seconds, allowing you to get clean drinking water from nearby natural sources.
Features of the Katadyn Hiker Pro Hiking Water Filter
One of the best features of the Katadyn Hiker Pro Hiking Water Filter is the specialized pleated cartridges, which are anti-clogging.
It requires virtually no maintenance or cleaning, making this portable water filter one of the simplest to maintain. Here are some other features to check out:
- Minimal resistance while pumping makes it easy to get clean water quickly
- Large filter surface allows fast water cleaning, but the entire system is lightweight and compact enough for the trail
- Pre-filter on the in going hose keeps debris from clogging up the filter
- Active carbon in the glass filter gets rid of not only bacteria but also chemicals and minerals that can leave water with a foul taste
- Can fill up a one-quart bottle in under a minute
- Comes with a carrying case that makes it easy to pack down
- Bottle adaptor allows you to attach the output line directly to a water bottle, so you don’t waste a drop
- Filter is easy to replace, and many major retailers carry replacement parts in case of an emergency
- It’s necessary to pump water to clean it, but the pump system is very smooth and easy to use.
Who Should Check Out the Katadyn Hiker Pro Hiking Water Filter?
Keep in mind that this water filter isn’t mean to be a high-capacity pump. It’s intended for one or two people on the trail filtering the water they need to drink.
With that in mind, it certainly suits its purpose. It’s small enough to carry in a pack and efficient enough that you won’t spend all day getting clean water.
The Hiker Pro is a great value for someone solo hiking or hiking with a partner.
Best Price and Availability
Katadyn portable water filters are available at some specialty stores but you will obviously find the best availability (as well as get the best price!) on when you buy online, and the Katadyn Hiker Pro Hiking Water Filter is no exception. Click here and get Today’s Best Deal now!
8. Aquamira Frontier Hiking Water Filter
The Aquamira Frontier Hiking Water Filter is a really interesting portable water filter solution.
The entire system is contained within a straw that has a built-in, super-efficient carbon filter.
To filter the water, just pull out the straw, and drink through it. You can use it with water from a foreign country or on a hike, pop the straw directly into a stream or lake, and start drinking.
You can’t pre-filter water with this system, but it can be a great addition to a hiking pack or an emergency preparedness kit.
The entire system is small enough to fit into a shirt pocket, and it doesn’t cost much so that you can invest in more than one for a long hike or larger emergency kit.
Features of This Portable Water Filter
The main feature of the Aquamira Frontier Hiking Water Filter is its specialized carbon filter.
It’s made from a blend of different filtration particles that are headed beyond melting point and bound together into a compact, efficient filter.
The filtration process both blocks particles from getting through the straw and absorbs physical and chemical contaminants in the water.
The straw can remove over 99% of harmful bacteria and viruses in water, as well as chemicals that can be harmful or leave a bad taste in your drinking water.
Other features of the Aquamira Frontier Hiking Water Filter include:
- The ability to filter up to twenty gallons of water with the same straw filter.
- Compact enough to slide into a shirt pocket.
- Weighs less than an ounce.
- Filters up to twenty gallons of water.
- Eliminates over 99% of bacteria and viruses in water.
- Doesn’t require pre-filtration, as the filter mechanically gets rid of particulate matter in the water.
- Can easily be used on the go, and is incredibly simple to use.
- For maximum effectiveness, the Aquamira Frontier Hiking Water Filter can be used in conjunction with water purification drops or tablets – the straw will remove the chemical taste left by such methods.
- May have carbon dust residue for the first few cups of water drawn, but you simply have to draw a bit of water before you plan to use it, and the dust will no longer be an issue.
Who’s the Aquamira Frontier For?
The Frontier filter is obviously not for pre-filtering water for drinking, but it is an excellent solution when used in conjunction with a base camp filter for easy camping filtration.
At any rate, this affordable, portable filter is great for tossing into your pack along with another filtration system.
If your other system malfunctions, you’ll still be able to get potable water to drink with this simple straw solution.
Best Price & Availability
The Aquamira Frontier is not carried at most offline sporting goods stores. The best availability, as well as the best price, is obviously online. Click here for the current Best Deal on the Aquamira Frontier Filter.
9. First Need XL Hiking Water Filter
The First Need XL Hiking Water Filter is a great solution for base campers and backpackers alike. Although it may be too bulky and heavy for some backpackers, it can certainly meet your base camp needs.
The system works with a tube to take in water and a pump that helps water move through the filter quickly and efficiently.
The system can also be used with gravity if you want a lazier way to filter water when you’re not in a hurry.
The system packs into a water-resistant nylon tote bag, and it’s easy to assemble and disassemble when necessary.
Features of the First Need XL Hiking Water Filter
This portable water filter has many convenient features, including an adjustable, self-cleaning float that gets ri d of much particulate matter and requires less maintenance than many other models. Here are some of the other great features of this filter:
- The First Need XL Hiking Water Filter features a Direct Connect option that allows you to filter directly into much standard-sized biking and to hike water bottles
- The easy-grip handle is attached to a double action pump, meaning you get more water for less work
- The gravity assist system allows you to get fresh water even when the canister is clogged, so you can get water even if you don’t have time to clean the canister right away
- Incredibly user-friendly design
- Can safely filter even relatively hot water – as in water from hot springs
- Can easily be cleaned and serviced in the field
- Gets about 125 gallons of water per canister
- Relatively lightweight, and can be used for personal water supply on the trail or base camp water supply
- It can be somewhat difficult to attach the Direct Connect feature to water bottles. Many users find it more convenient to filter into a large receptacle and to fill their canisters from there.
Who Should Check Out This Filter?
The First Need XL Hiking Water Filter is certainly a good option for hikers, bikers, campers, and those traveling in foreign countries.
If you don’t mind pumping your water and want a relatively quick flow rate, this type of filter can be a good value for you.
Best Price and Availability
The First Need XL is available at some specialty stores, but you will obviously find the best availability (as well as get the best price) when you buy online. Click Here and get today’s best deal now!
10. Sawyer Products Mini Water Filtration System
If you are an outdoor enthusiast, then you need a water filtration system that can serve you well during your excursions.
The Sawyer Products Mini Water Filtration System is the perfect option for campers and hikers alike.
This mini water filtration system is not only portable, but also highly effective in getting rid of impurities.
It weighs 3.5 ounces only, and it is able to remove up to 99.99% of disease-causing bacteria and protozoa. It also gets rid of pathogens such as salmonella, E-coli and Vibrio cholera.
What’s more, the water filter consists of a hollow fiber membrane and thick fiber walls for faster flow rate.
This ensures a faster purification process, so you don’t have to wait for long to quench your thirst.
Interestingly, this filter can handle water from all sources, including streams, rivers and lakes, as well as faucets in public places such as hotel rooms.
Furthermore, you can drink purified water directly from the mini filter in case you don’t have an extra bottle.
As if that is not enough, this unit does not require replacement filters – it is cleanable and reusable, and you can use it to purify up to 100,000 gallons of water before opting to buy another one.
- It is extremely portable
- It can remove 99.99 contaminants from lake and stream water
- The water bottle is reusable
- Durable, BPA-free construction
- Available in 17 different colors
- Hard to suck using the straw
Before you go for any hiking or camping expedition do not forget to take lifesaving gear with you, as this will help you eliminate all type of diseases caused by water.
We all know that hiking or camping trip occur only one or two times per year and we ignore to take any water purifier filter with us, which causes disease and make ourselves sick after coming from any outdoor expedition.
Whenever you are going out for outside expedition always ensure you drink enough of water. Always keep water purifier filter and water purification tablet handy in your backpack.
Please Also Read our Best Survival Books Review
Hiking Water Filter for Camping
The hiking water filter is great for campers and people who like to do sports hiking in the wilderness.
If you are sure that there is a water source somewhere along the way, these lightweight filters will make it unnecessary to carry your water along the way.
Water is heavy, but a portable water filter for hiking is not. They are compact and fit well into backpacks coming out ready to use anytime the hiker needs them.
The Katadyn portable hiking water filter is one of the favorite brands amongst hardcore hikers. A lot of travelers that frequent third world countries will take along a hiking water filter to ensure that any water that they drink in the foreign country, they are in does not contain any microbes that could potentially make the traveler sick and ruin their trip.
Travelers are pleased with the convenience of the compact size of these modern-day devices. Most hiking water filter models are small enough to fit into any suitcase without taking up much room easily. Protection in a small package is always a good thing when traveling.
With the changes and stricter security at all airports around the world, it is better to pack your portable water filter in your suitcase instead of carrying it on the plane.
Another option is available to you is to ship your hiking water filter to your hotel destination instead of taking any chance with it on the airplane.
There are no published restrictions on a hiking water filter or when it comes to travel, but it could save you some head-ache with TSA.
Awesome post Thanks for sharing.
Very good blog post. I certainly love this site. Stick with it!|
Ahaa, its good
Perfect Rev 🙂
Keep working ,splendid job!
Comments are closed.